- I think Kevin and Selena make a pretty sweet couple in this series and they look so good together ! I was rooting for the characters to get together because of how compatible their personalities were but I must say their love story had some of the big “no-nos” in it. It slightly ruined it for me, but I’ll come to that bit later.
- Selena and Kevin play the couple of being in two different “worlds”- the rich and the poor. Selena is a rich, beautiful, intelligent woman who is the CEO of a large corporation. She is well educated and brought up from a wealthy background. In contrast, Kevin is only a security guard at her company, a boxer, a single father who claims to be “old with no money” (as Kevin often describes himself in the series) who also has a criminal record and previously sentenced to jail for 7 years.
- Their relationship started out as boss and sub-ordinate. I think she abused her power :P, by making him do all these things for her out of work, drive her around, borrowed his uniform on the first day they met. She even forced a kiss on him when she was mad at her boyfriend (at that time) who was a married man and sought this as a way of “revenge”. The two eventually become really good friends as she seeks him out for advice on her relationships and she helps him tutor his son English.
- Kevin is very lovable caring and responsible man. Kevin’s perception of their “difference” and not wanting to hurt Edwin (Selena’s boyfriend) largely came between their relationship. It wasn’t even about Selena’s parents getting in their way of being together, it was the whole “we must do what is right and not hurt the ‘innocent’ one” (K is not impressed! XD)
- While Kevin developed feelings for Selena, he would constantly deny them re-assuring Edwin that they’re from different worlds and there is nothing going on between them- They’re just great friends and she is his boss. At that time, even Edwin admitted/felt he was the odd one out and Kevin and Selena looked like they were having so much fun together (including Kevin’s son, seemed like a family)
- However, when Selena realised she had fallen in love with Kevin (occasion where she cried for him when she thought he was in a car accident), the trouble girl dialled into the radio station which talks about love and relationships where she confessed her confusion and not knowing what to do. She realised she loved Kevin, but can’t leave her current boyfriend because he is perfect to her. The two men happen to tune into the station and heard her confession.
- Edwin ended up proposing to her but Selena rejects him as she decides to be with Kevin. Edwin tells Selena that he will continue to wait for her until she changes her mind. She happily rushes to find Kevin to confess her feelings for him and he instantly starts avoiding her as he realised what had happened.
- It was pretty pitiful watching Selena “chase” Kevin- I felt so embarrassed for her >< The way he rejected her, humiliated her and “hit” her in the boxing ring was so hard to watch. Guy hitting a girl?? For a girl to go all out and get rejected like that almost makes him sound like a jerk. Kevin didn’t return her feelings because he felt she should have been with Edwin and that he wasn’t good enough for her. He told her that he never liked her and her behaviour was making him despise her.
- Eventually Selena returns back to Edwin…It really felt like Selena was using Edwin as a rebound!
- The night before Selena’s wedding, Selena found out from Nancy that Kevin did love her and rejected her before only because he felt he wasn’t good enough for her. I really like the scene when Selena and Kevin finally admitted their feelings for each other- Kevin seemed so heartbroken to see Selena who was in tears. The two started happily heading to the airport together as Selena proposed to “elope”. It felt a bit like a dream. Technically Kevin could have just left. What left me pretty confused was how Kevin let Selena go back to get married with Edwin. What the heck…..?? Clearly the one she loved was Kevin, but because they didn’t want to hurt Edwin, they made that decision. It annoyed me- left me thinking..”what just happened…?” While Edwin seemed like a nice guy, I was always convinced that Selena married him out of pity more than anything. She didn’t seem happy with him and only chose to stay committed to him. How did Selena even agree to this..??”
- I always thought Selena married Edwin ‘out of duty’- because he was a great man who did nothing wrong to her (pre-wedding) but love just doesn’t work that way! She doesn’t owe him anything!! And what makes me so angry is why does Kevin think he can just push Selena to marry Edwin for? It’s almost like those love triangles where one steps out ‘sacrificing themselves” for the better of the other two. This is modern time and shouldn’t work that way. I guess the lesson to be learnt there was the whole loop they went through. Selena married Edwin but because of him having suspicions of her loving Kevin (which he already knew about before they got married), he gets into a car accident and his legs disabled for life. This then lead on to domestic violence as he kept treating Selena poorly because he couldn’t control his temper. After all that, when Kevin supposedly made Edwin see Selena loved Edwin wholeheartedly, Edwin finally trusted Selena and wanted to start fresh with their lives. Edwin however, eventually commits suicide when he claimed he could no longer endure the pain. Somehow I see it as TVB’s way of letting Selena and Kevin get back together, to “fix” up their mistakes of having Selena marry Edwin in the first place…
- At the end, Selena was diagnosed with some amnesia. It felt kind of out of place and was not necessary for storyline purposes, other than creating a slight tragedy that the woman Kevin loves may no longer remember him.
- They still look great as a couple though, maybe Selena will remember her husband one day..