*Warning: Contains Spoilers*
- I think this is one of Kate’s best roles. She plays the beautiful “Chin-Sam Leung” , a brothel owner who secretly appears to be working as an spy/assassin for her master. She is a strong character who is very bold and daring and can appear quite direct/ruthless at times. During a mission Chin-sam fought against Michael and injures him. The “good” Chin-sam ends up treating his wounds and saves his life. The two eventually fall in love and have a one night stand. However shortly after, Michael loses his memories- flashbacks of what appears to be bed scenes with Chin-Sam causes Michael to become very confused as he tries to remember his past and discover who he actually is. He feels that he has an intimate relationship with Chin-Sam when he sees her again, however she denied this and misleads him to thinking his lover is actually another prostitute (by imprinting the same tatoo on her back).
- It appears as though because of her identity and mission, she was forbidden to be with him because her life belonged to her master. It started to get a bit creepy when Kate kept talking to “herself” in the mirror, where the “good” Chin Sam (who was gentle and caring) appears to be trapped inside. I was misled, along with the other characters in the series, to think that her occassional personality change was due to her suffering from a condition after witnessing her twin sister getting washed away to sea when they were young. Here and there, the good “Chin-sam” would come out and say things to try save Michael because she was in love with him but the “evil” Chin-Sam would start telling her off again later.
- Later, Chin-sam was ordered to get close to “Yin-Wong” (Joe) and try make him fall in love with her. I thought those scene were quite interesting because Joe knew she wasn’t any ordinary woman and was there to get close to him for a purpose. He, however, was attracted to this “game” and continued to play along to find out she had planned for him. The two ended up falling in love with each other in the process. Caught in the conflicting dilemma of love and mission, Chin-Sam eventually chooses to betray her master!
- Episode 20 was so awesome!! Both Joe and Kate’s secrets were revealed to one another when he saved her from dying (also revealing he was only pretending to be crazy) . It was revealed that Kate is , like Michael- a “Gam Yi Wai” (Brocade Guard)..that means she’s actually a “good” person, working to protect the King ..I don’t know how to define the word “good” anymore given that I’m rooting for Yin-Wong (Joe), but Joel isn’t exactly a “bad” King either…sigh
- I was so moved how Joe trusted her so much that he’d take the risk to save her
- I was also quite shocked when I found out there were actually two Kates!! The “good” Chin-sam, (who is actually Chin-Sam’s twin sister “Chor Chor”) was around the whole time but Chin-Sam kept her a secret. The one who fell in love with Michael was actually “Chor Chor”- but because no one knew of her existence, Michael thought the one he fell in love with was actually Chin-Sam.
- It all started to make sense now because- honestly, I thought it was pretty creepy how she fell in love with both Michael (when she was “good”) and Joe (when she’s herself). Every time we see Kate talking to “herself” in the mirror, it seemed like she was compressing the emotional side of her and told her to forget about Michael. We later find out she’s very caring towards her sister and only doing it to protect her.
- I thought it was pretty sad when Chin-sam was killed by her master! I can’t believe she just died like that!! =( It was sad to see her love Joe so much and she died protecting him- yet just before death, she realised Joe had “betray” her because he lied to her and didn’t fully trust her…AWW!!!!!! After witnessing the death of her sister, Chor Chor was manipulated to take revenge on Joe for her sister’s death. I thought the plan was very clever- she was pretending to be Chin-Sam-turned-ChorChor after being traumatised by his betrayl. Eventually overtime, Chor Chor started to realise Joe did love Chin-Sam deeply and was filled with regrets. In the process, ChorChor also fell in love with Joe and she couldn’t take revenge on him anymore. She reveals the truth to him and eventually stays by his side to be his concubine.
- I was really hoping Michael will know that the one he loved was “Chor Chor” and not “Chin Sam”, but I guess up to that point it didn’t matter anymore. Chor Chor was already with Ying Wong (Joe) and Michael was already with Siu-Qiu and the Princess. I liked how Chor Chor got the opportunity to tell Michael “her sister did love him” before she went with Joe though.
- I hoped somehow that Kate and Michael would have some scenes together as a couple but that didn’t happen. The MV lied! XD But yeh..somehow I knew they wouldn’t work out.
- I think it’s pretty cool how Kat and Michael’s characters are similar as they are”owned” by other people and don’t have their own freedom…At the end, ChorChor saves Michael’s life once again when she stopped Joe from killing him.
- I think Kate did a pretty good job on this role, playing the double personalities 🙂 Which twin did you guys like better?